Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Regaining form

It's been 3 weeks now since I race and only now am I feeling healthy and ready to start building up my mileage again. The first week was a combination of working toward walking correctly again and trying to consume a healthy amount of calories. The muscle soreness and fatigue are something I am quite familiar with, but the aversion to food was something that has never happened to me before. After about 5 days this passed and I was left craving red meat and fresh vegetables (my guess is iron deficiency). So, I obliged. It certainly isn't a chore eating a large steak with an even larger salad.

The second week was spent trying to regain my running form. There were a few things impeding this process. Firstly, my legs were still very rigid and stiff from the race. Secondly, I simply felt like I was working at 80-90% running at 7:30 pace. Not only was this very frustrating but also left me with a lot of concerns. Ever since I burned myself out last year I've been extremely cautious not to overtrain. For races you can't really hold anything back, and I thought maybe I had blown a fuse. However, at the end of the second week I made my way out to a favorite trail of mine (Tiger Mtn.)with a few work friends and ran close to 14 miles. The uphills were difficult but the rest of the time I felt very comfortable.

This week has been more of a transition back into training mode. I haven't been able to wake up early under my own willpower so far, but I have been logging some solid miles in the evenings. Its nice to have the sun stay in the sky until around 9 o'clock. Score one for living in the North! This weeks total should be around 50 miles, and then I'll just be doing maintenance runs until Lost Lake 50K.

This race won't be a massive effort on my part. I am doing this race to gauge how physically ready my body is to start seriously training again. But I do have the course record on my mind. The hill climb should be treacherous but the views will be worth it! If you'd like to view race photos please click the link below.

2 comments:

  1. Do you take an iron supplement? Since I've been doing so. I've found my appetite to return to normal a couple hours after a long race. Ofcourse though I don't maintain a 6:30 pace per mile for 100km either. You're an animal Andy. Keep it going brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right nutrition plays crucial role. When I started running I was recommended to take nutritional supplements in order not to exhaust my body. I've tried the staff my friend was taking - Military Grade Supplements. They work perfect in building strength and endurance! I like that they are natural and safe to take.

    ReplyDelete